Portugal Bodyboarding Holiday | The homeland of European Bodyboarding
Ability: All abilities welcome, from new bodyboarders to experienced shredders.
Enjoy the best waves Portugal has to offer during early summer and autumn. Where European culture combines perfectly with an awesome beach lifestyle.
We’re heading to Praia das Macas west of Lisbon for an epic bodyboarding trip.
Polish up your act, make some real progression or simply enjoy waves in the sun. From cheap flights to luxury accommodation, our aim is to set you up for a week of awesome coaching and fun in the water, alongside soaking up the coastal delights Portugal has to offer.
The Portuguese coastline is littered with a variety of breaks suitable for riders of all abilities. From points, reefs and beachies, to wedges, river mouths and shories, you can find every type of wave here. Well, pretty much.
The private mansion we stay in was built as a summer party house for a famous pianist so comes with everything a holiday home should; a outside BBQ area, covered heated pool, Wifi throughout, a games room with pool and poker tables, a lounge with a large LCD TV and surround sound. What’s more, it’s so chic, that it’s even got a bandstand and chapel within its grounds! Nestled amongst peaceful pine trees within the Serra de Sintra national park, its remote and wild setting offers a relaxing ambience.
We’re just 1km from the punchy fun waves of Praia das Macas, 5 minutes from the wedgy goodness of Praia da Adraga and the famous Praia Grande where the World Bodyboard Championships – The Sintra Pro – stops every September.
Praia das Macas is just a 30-minute drive from the hollow reefs of Ericeira, which is now classified as a World Surfing Reserve, and 25 minutes from Praia de Carcavelos, which is home to a fantastic beach break. Journey 35 minutes further south and you hit the endless peaks of Costa de Caparica. We also visit plenty of amazing secret spots along the way.
You’ll pick up some game changing tips from Rob Barber’s Bodyboarding School. The coaches and trained lifeguards organise group sessions and one to one in-water teaching, all trained by ex European number one and British team coach, Rob Barber. Or simply come along and bust your own moves with us in the glassy splendour of the Atlantic.
Don’t worry if you’re used to waves of a smaller size or you’re a complete beginner there’s something for you. You’ll be blown away by how fast you learn to paddle out and catch some good ones. We never throw people straight in at the deep end, we’ve got your back whatever your ability, and that’s a promise!
The type of people you meet on these trips want to score waves, enjoy the beach life style and sunsets, travel and improve their riding – a recipe of interests that make a great group vibe. So come along, we guarantee you’ll make new bodyboarding friends and contacts you’ll surf with in the future.
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock you’ll know bodyboarding has taken off in Portugal. It’s buzzing with local bodyboarding talent. With so many awesome shorie barrels and sections to learn their trade, it’s no wonder the IBA world tour has seen an influx of Portuguese riders stake their claim in recent years.
North of Praia das Macas lays Nazare, a beach break rapidly gaining notoriety as one of the best and most powerful in Portugal, with hollow rights and lefts that were made for bodyboarding. To the south you’ll find the Portuguese Pipeline, Supertubes which breaks over a perfect sandbank and can deliver incredible fast, hollow barrels.
Even during the summer months, while other beaches to the east of Cascais become crowded there’s always ample room to surf along the Sintra coastline. There are also great amenities here including public showers, beach bars and restaurants.
Whichever direction we travel in on our surfaris, there’s a great mix of technical waves for the aspiring pro and mellow waves for developing riders. During the holiday we cruise the coast each day to find the best waves, so expect super fun conditions.
Swell season is year round – perfect for our trip! Expect reliably dry, sunny weather with temperatures around 27°C, falling to 18°C on average overnight.The water temperature is between 14-25 in spring and autumn so bring a 3/2 wetsuit. It can also be warm enough for a shortie for the hot days so if you have one, definitely pack that as well.
Our luxury bodyboard villa is surrounded by woodland below the picturesque Sintra Mountains. It’s a pretty palatial affair, housing masses of living space and a spacious garden neatly divided by quirky features and follies; we’re neighbouring Portugal’s political big-wigs, Benfica footballers and International heads of state on this stunning part of the coastline.
Our exclusive three-story villa contains:
- 5 comfortable bedrooms
- Fresh quality bed linen and towels
- A fully equipped kitchen and outdoor BBQ area
- Huge dining room and tranquil terrace
- Exquisitely furnished living/chilling areas
- Secluded garden with a variety of water features, chill-out areas and a private swimming pool
- A games room with pool and poker tables and wifi throughout
- Daily housekeeping on weekdays
By far the best accommodation we provide on any of our trips, this musically themed mansion-like villa is perfect for kicking back in luxury after a top day of bodyboarding. It’s also in walking distance from vibrant village of Praia das Macas, which has a variety of shops, grocery stores, bakery, pizzeria, bars, pharmacy and a choice of restaurants serving typical Portuguese dishes. Just a short drive from the villa, Sintra is also a great destination for culture vultures and foodie fanatics.
The coaching team offer daily tuition tailored to your ability with coaches that are experienced, lifeguard qualified and fully insured. Some have twenty years of surfing experience and fifteen years of worldwide travel experience all staff are trained by British team coach, Rob Barber. Intermediate and advanced level coaching is tailored towards the individual.
Beginner coaching includes:
- Oceanography class at the start of the week to understand breaks, rips and currents
- Bodyboarding safety, beach awareness and how to catch waves
- How to paddle out, gain speed, duck dive and wipe out safely
- Learning moves such as cutbacks, barrel rolls and three-sixty spins
- How to get the most from your equipment while having heaps of fun
- Pro standard bodyboard kit available to hire at great prices
In order to book, follow these steps.
1. Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page
2. You will then be emailed an information pack and a Frequently Asked Questions sheet.
3. Read the information and follow the instructions to contact us to pay.
4. Remember we have limited numbers on each trip so please book early for the best price.
5. If you want to hear what other bodyboarders have thought of the holidays, read our Trip Advisor reviews here.
6. Once you have paid you will receive an online enrolment form, when you have completed and returned this you will be confirmed on the trip.
We don’t book your air travel but super-cheap flights are always on offer through budget airlines to Lisbon. It’s only 2.5 hours from the UK with fantastic air links with the rest of Europe and the States.
You can fly to Lisbon Airport (LIS) from London, Manchester, Birmingham and London airports with Easyjet and Ryanair. Check out Sky Scanner to find the nearest flights to your location. When booking, make sure you check airline baggage charges by weight and bag number so you don’t discover any nasty hidden fees and you pack accordingly. Remember that we hire equipment, which works out cheaper than paying for your board bag and also saves you carrying your bag!
- Check in at villa is at 4pm, so please book an afternoon flight on the first day
- Check out at villa is at 10am, so please book a morning flight home on the last day.
- If these times are not possible, you may have to wait for others to arrive. So bring a good book and ipad. There is a Starbucks with Wifi in arrivals.
After our second visit to Portugal we enlisted the awesome skills of a private chef for the house. Group meals offer the chance to re-fuel with excellent dishes and a great time to exchange stories about the daily sessions. Of course this means guaranteed good food, no hassle and no washing up! You can choose our full-board catering option. This includes healthy breakfasts a snack-lunch and all evening meals. Portuguese food is Mediterranean so you’ll probably be familiar with most things on our menu. There will be meat or fish dishes and vegetarian options created by our personal chef. You should budget 26 Euros. You will be emailed with the option to take this package before the trip begins.
- 7 nights accommodation in a luxury villa
- Pick ups and drop offs at Lisbon Airport
- Bodyboard guidance by locals to the best waves for your ability
- Video and photo analysis
- Expert daily coaching geared to your ability
- Pro standard bodyboard kit available to hire at great prices
We offer kit hire for the week, which needs to be booked well in advance;
|Equipment||Price (€) per day|
|Board & Leash||8|
|Wetsuit and rash top||8|
|Fins, socks & savers||4|
If you can’t make the dates, or you’d like to arrive early or stay on for extra days, then contact us and we can help put together the perfect bespoke package for you. Call us on 01637 879571.