Wales Bodyboarding Holiday | A Weekend on the beautiful Gower Peninsular
Ability: All abilities welcome, from new bodyboarders to experienced shredders
Llangennith in Wales is home to consistent peaky waves, fringed by rolling sand dunes of the stunning Gower Peninsular.
We’re heading to the beautiful broad beaches of Llangennith, east of Swansea.
Late summer is the perfect time of year to score prime autumn swells in Wales. You’ll discover stunning stretches of sand that extend for miles in either direction, offering the perfect opportunity to get in the water and ride great waves.
Our aim is to ensure you experience a super-chilled weekend of catching waves and improving your technique while enjoying the awesome vistas abundant in this area.
If you’ve never been bodyboarding before and fancy learning a new sport in a safe environment, this weekend provides the ideal introduction. By the same token, if you’re a keen enthusiast wanting to master the sports hardest moves, the coaching during this weekend will help you improve no end. Every rider is taught as an individual so you aren’t pushed along too quickly or held back by others.
The people you’ll meet on this trip are all feeding the same addiction for scoring waves and improving their riding. So come along, we guarantee you’ll make new bodyboarding friends and contacts you’ll surf with in the future.
Llangennith offers a multi-peak beach break that offers bowly peaks at high tide and sucky shorebreaking waves at low tide. We venture up the beach to enjoy the wedgey waves at the Three Peaks end of the beach. The beauty of Llangennith is that it offers something for riders of all abilities.
Late summer in Wales means the water is comfortably warm so you can wear a 3/2mm full suit or even a shortie if the sun is shining. We’ve generally enjoyed sunny and mild weather conditions for each of our September coaching weekends in Wales so pack both sunscreen and a warm, lightweight waterproof jacket to cover all bases.
You need to organise your own accommodation for bodyboarding in Wales. The majority of our bodyboarders choose to camp at www.hillendcamping.com, others have stayed in bed and breakfast accommodation at the Kings Head Pub www.kingsheadgower.co.uk. Check them out while carrying out your accommodation search.
Rob Barber and his coaching team offer daily tuition tailored to your ability with coaches that are Surfing GB qualified and fully insured. Experienced lifeguards, some have twenty years of surfing experience and fifteen years of worldwide travel experience including British team coach, Rob Barber. Intermediate and advanced level coaching is tailored towards the individual.
You’ll never be thrown straight into the deep end. We’ve got your back whatever your ability, and that’s a promise. Don’t stress if you’re used to smaller waves or you’re a total novice – there’s something for everyone. In fact you’ll be amazed how quickly you master paddling out to catch good quality waves.
Beginner coaching includes:
- Oceanography class at the start of the week to understand breaks, rips and currents
- Bodyboarding safety, beach awareness and how to catch waves
- How to paddle out, gain speed, duck dive and wipe out safely
- Learning moves such as cutbacks, barrel rolls and three-sixty spins
- How to get the most from your equipment while having heaps of fun
In order to book, follow these steps.
1. Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page
2. You will then be emailed an information pack and a Frequently Asked Questions sheet.
3. Read the information and follow the instructions to contact us to pay.
4. Remember we have limited numbers on each trip so please book early for the best price.
5. If you want to hear what other bodyboarders have thought of the holidays, read our Trip Advisor reviews here.
6. Once you have paid you will receive an online enrolment form, when you have completed and returned this you will be confirmed on the trip.
Guests are to make their own way to Wales. We meet on the Saturday at a predetermined time at Llanngenith beach. We will then search for the best conditions for the day. The coaching weekend will come to a close mid afternoon on the Sunday. Three days prior to the trip we will email you the predetermined meeting time.
Hillend Campsite is serviced by Eddy’s cafe bar, which offers a good selection of hot and cold food and drinks. On Saturday evening we normally have a bar-b-q (so bring your own food), or depending on the weather we go for a meal at the Kings Head pub.
The weekend includes:
- Three separate in-water sessions, Saturday sessions are two hours long covering all aspects of bodyboarding you wish to focus upon. The Sunday session will be longer.
- Two of your in-water sessions will be filmed and these will be analysed. This will include demonstrations and move-by-move break downs to help you conquer every aspect of the sport.
- Q and A sessions about bodyboarding equipment, travel, safety, surf prediction and bodyboarding fitness.
- Photographs will be taken to help you to improve your riding. You can buy the shots at the end of the weekend for £20 and £10 for the video.
- Guaranteed good times!
We offer kit hire for the weekend, this needs to be booked well in advance;
Pro standard Bodyboard Hire £8 per day
Swim fin hire £8 per day
Wetsuit hire £8 per day
If you can’t make the dates, or you’d like to arrive early or stay on for extra days, then contact us and we can help put together the perfect bespoke package for you. Call us on 01637 879571.